Welcome to my blog ! Bienvenidos a mi blog ! Bienvenu a mon blog !
Feel free to follow my blog, or bookmark it as a favorite to your browser(s). I'll try to update my blog as much as possible.
Also, feel free to leave comments on my entries. If you leave comments and you've got a blog here on blogspot, I'll come by your blog and leave some comments as well *smiles*
Have a nice day/evening/night






Not giving up !!

Monday, January 30, 2017

Homemade Iced Tea / Sweet Tea

I was craving some iced tea last night but have none in the house, so I decided to look online to see if I can find some easy recipes for it. I came across a few, most of the directions and ingredients were similar, so I decided to tweak some of the recipes and blend them in to one recipe...now its my own. 

Its not overly sweet, and has a hint of vanilla to it, but you can flavor it with anything you want really. 

Friends on fb and other social media have been asking me to share the recipe, so here is what I came up with, feel free to tweak it to your own desire. 

(My recipe yeilds 4L of sweet tea, but you can cut it in half to make less if needed)

Step 1.
- In a large pot, place 16 cups of water and bring to a boil. 
- Remove from heat, and add in 14 bags of tea 
(I used Salada orange pekoe, but you can use any type of tea you like, and you can also use loose tea, not sure of the exact quantity)
- let steep minimum 5 mins, or till desired strength 
(I like strong tea so I let mine steep for 20 mins)

Step 2.
- In a small saucepan, on low heat, mix together 2 cups of  sugar, and 2 cups of water till all the sugar has melted. 
- Add in vanilla extract and lemon juice to taste 
(I didn't measure mine, but I would guess that I used about 1/4 cup of each)
- Mix well.
(you can use any flavorings you want for your tea, check below for options)

Step 3. 
- Once tea has reached desired strength, remove tea bags.
-  Stir in sweet syrup mixture. 

Step 4. 
- Let cool to room temp
- Place in to container(s) and then place in the fridge.
- Let refridgerate for a few hours, serve cold.

And this is what mine looked like, so good, wayyyyyy better than any store bought mixes I've ever tried. Mind you, I highly doubt I'd forever stop buying my favorite Arizona green tea, or the Lipton Pur Leaf ones, cause those are really good, but this definitely saves me money and at least this way I know exactly what is going in to it, and I can control the amount of sugar that goes in to it, so its not as bad for my health as some of the powder mixes I've had. Plus, like my friend Tanya says, the powders often taste like lemon dish water lol.



Some of the flavor options I've seen in some recipes are...

-Mint
-cucumber
-Lavender
-Orange
-Blackberry
-Cinnamon
-Lemon
-Vanilla
-Nectarine
-Ginger

the possibilities are endless !  


What flavor(s) would you add if you made this yourself ? 
Let me know in the comments section.




No comments:

Post a Comment